Bought our first rental house in 1982 and have been doing repairs and improvements on them since then. We are mostly out of the rental house business, and now doing repairs and improvements for others.
Bathroom remodel on the 1918 house. It was torn down to the wall studs and built back up from there. It needed a little bit of everything from floor & wall repair, to final paint and much between. It received a new electric circuit, water supply lines & shutoffs, exhaust fan with metal duct to outside, faucets, tub and contemporary sliding door, vanity and mirror. The fixtures were Delta from a matching collection including a grab bar in the shower. Wood blocking in the walls allows for secure attachment of more grab bars if necessary.
Like a lot of bathroom remodels, this guest bathroom was a complete tear-out to the studs and build back up from there. A furnace duct ran along side the tub and that became a nice shelf or place to sit. The Schluter System was used to form a completely waterproof backing behind the tiles. A 32×60 Delta 400 deep soak tub from Home Depot was surrounded by 12×12 ceramic tiles. The customer kept the lavatory base and got a new top and faucet. Two coats of satin paint finished off this guest bathroom remodel.
This is a basement garage in a new house being framed for drywall. (The house was built by someone else.) Today I’m working on the soffit boxes on the ceiling to enclose the duct work. Tomorrow will begin the soffits near the overhead garage doors which when open will come uncomfortably close to the finished product. Since the garage is in the basement and the living area is above the garage, building code requires this area to be finished.
The customers had a vision and I helped it come true. They did the lay-out for the walls and helped me with the framing and the drywall finishing, plus they had friends do the electric and plumbing. They also picked out all the tiles and delivered them to the job site.
The tiles were installed using the Schluter System. The wall tiles are 12×24 installed on Schluter Kerdi, and the shower floor tiles are six sided 2″ mosaics on Kerdi on a drypack mortar base on a concrete slab. The floor tiles outside of the shower are the same 12×24 tiles installed on Schluter Ditra on a concrete slab.
A tempered glass panel will be installed on the 135 degree curb opening. The rest of the curb will remain without a door though framing behind the tiles is there should a door be wanted. Also behind the tiles is wood blocking for hand rails should they ever be needed.
This bathroom remodel job was gutted out down to the wall studs. The job called for a new tub, wall tiles, light fixtures, shutoff valves, and paint. The floor tiles, toilet, faucets, and lavatory were all somewhat new and were re-used. During the gutting stage an unknown difficulty presented itself right away. The walls were two layers; 1/4″ painted masonite panels over 1/2″ drywall. Not a huge problem but did result in some spacing issues with the floor tiles. The existing window was 100% plastic and glass and the trim I used was a plastic composite sealed in with 60 year latex caulk. The wall tiles are set on Schulter Kerdi, and the tiled up shower nook is on a Nobel base. We were able to take out the walls without hurting either the ceiling or the floor tiles and that was a relief. Wrapping it up with a nice paint job including the closet
this job looked great. Total cost to the customer less than $4500
A tree went down on the electric line knocking out the power to the main sump sump and the battery on the backup sump pump failed during the night. By morning there was 6 inches of water in the basement. We removed the wet carpet, bottom 12″ of drywall, soggy insulation and began the repair. The ceramic floor tiles were installed on Schluter Systems Ditra. The old battery powered backup pump was replaced with a water powered backup pump. Finally, a very loud alarm was placed in the sump well should the water level rise above the backup pump float switch.
A circle of discolored vinyl flooring growing outward from the toilet signaled a leaky wax ring. Left alone, the floor would eventually rot away, but fortunately it was caught in time. The old toilet, vanity, and vinyl were removed. The problem with the old toilet flange was found and remedied. A couple shut-off valves were replaced, and a problem with the sink drain where it entered the wall was fixed. Then new vinyl, vanity and low flush toilet were installed to complete this bathroom repair and remodel.
I bought my Sears Craftsman table saw in 1979 and the bearings are going out. I checked with Sears for a new set and there were $52 plus shipping. That’s too much for bearings. So I checked with Ebay and they were $10 with free shipping. Not only that, the seller has sold 334 sets of these bearings. I wonder if Sears knows how overpriced they are.
The old cast iron sink was rusted near the bowls and looked old and worn. Unfortunately, the new sink didn’t cover the same area as the old sink so the counter top also was replaced. A new faucet completed the job. If you ever replace an old cast iron sink, be very careful as this one weighed 98 pounds, and once the retaining clips are removed the sink will fall straight down. The safest way to remove a cast iron sink is to Continue reading Cast iron kitchen sink replacement.→
This bathroom was a disaster. Not only did the toilet leak causing the floor underneath to rot, the owner decided to paint the entire room – including the shower walls – UK blue. Of course, the paint pulled away from the walls and it became a more of a mess. We reused the tub, vanity, and toilet and replaced most everything else including the window. The end result was a nice looking, modern bathroom.
Residential repairs, improvements, and interior painting